Dr. Bookspan's Academy
Making Exercise Healthy Medicine
for People and Communities
What We Do | What Is Real-Life Exercise | Physician Recommended | Welcome | Many Offerings | Who | Mascot | Awards | Be Involved
- Provide people and communities with intelligent, effective, inspiring, self-sufficient ways to be healthy in body and actions.
- Develop and teach methods that make medicine and exercise healthier, and daily life into built-in physical, emotional, social, and environmental health -- which we define as functional exercise and medicine.
- Reduce injury and pain syndromes by integrating healthy biomechanics into ordinary daily life movement - true fitness as a lifestyle.
- Address unhealthy practices in fitness, sports, health care, and daily life and interactions.
- Encourage mind-set that fitness, health care, and medicine are ongoing outside the gym, in your daily physical, mental, and community interactions and projects.
- Provide methods and training for compassion and empathy in medicine, and responsibility and accountability in health care.
- Reward intelligent health initiatives, good humor, and self-empowerment.
- Keep the process fun - we put the fun in function.
We Are An International Organization Providing:
Function in Exercise
Functional Exercise Medicine?
Since forming the Academy, the word "functional" has been increasingly used by unaffiliated groups to sell products and programs, many contrary to the mission of this Academy as stated above. For example, supplements, exercises, and practices based on popular but unfounded claims, common to alternative groups.
Top Physicians Recommend Our Work
Ernest S. Campbell, M.D., FACS, Board-certified General Surgeon, Past Chairman Department of Surgery, Board of Directors Brookwood Medical Center Birmingham, Alabama, Fellow of the American College of Surgery.
Joseph Estwanik, M.D., FACSM, Past President Association of Ringside Physicians, Fellow American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Former Competitor in Olympic Style Weight Lifting.
Mr. Jim Morris writes about his Academy Appointment
Stuff We Do-
Is The Academy
in Green Health,
Contest Winner To Name the Backman Dog!
Previously, Dog was "behind the scenes" developing high level quantum work and making sure of accuracy in all projects and research - while playing chess. Dog will increasingly appear in articles with Backman! But what is his name? Readers sent in many entries in the Contest to guess his name. Runners Up were: Dr. Backbone, I.Q,. Maxwell Smart, Professor, Paws Two-Think, and Tangent.
Dog chose the winner - sent in by a fun reader who often sends helpful web page typo fixes and great ideas, and who requests to be known only as "Anonymous J"
eMail or Tweet (Twitter.com/TheFitnessFixer) to say hello.
"Spot The Anomaly" is helping students during my classes assess gait, movement, and other body mechanics, so that they can "Spot The Anomaly."
See "Spot The Anomaly" with Backman! at work at the top of the Fitness Lifestyle page.
and Hall of Fame
Award design by
- The Academy gives annual awards to thank, recognize, and support those who make the world healthier (The Academy Awards!).
- Award categories for physicians, individuals, health instructors, teachers, and others who lead by example. You can endow a memorial award. e-Mail: AcademyAwards @ DrBookspan DOT com.
- Our Hall of Fame is now on the Patient Success page.
- Lead my simple re-training drills for your own groups. Bookspan Basics - group training drills are a set of quick fun skills to teach your schools, camps, teams, and others. Learn better, healthier movement skills for all you do.
- Are you my next Director of Youth Programs, Math For Fitness, Communications Liaison, or Director of Electronic Media Learning? Youth Director initiates and oversees programs training lifelong health, starting with Bookspan Basics - group training drills, Fitness as a Lifestyle, and Emotional Fitness for schools, camps, leagues, and other healthy group structure, building a world-wide program. Math Director and contributors add short fun articles and programs so people have better understanding of the ways marketing twists truth with misleading numbers, and how to avoid that for healthier decisions. Communications Director liaisons with press and distribution avenues to increase awareness and fun for all. Director of Electronic Learning creates cool fun internet and cloud based apps, DVDs, learning channels, more. Send projects you are doing or developing in these topics and others to me (Dr. Bookspan) at HelpfulReader @ DrBookspan.com. Click here to see what existing Directors have achieved and how to add your talents.
- Put MORE of your good ideas and talents into practice. I offer fun projects to make your health and the world better. Get priceless instruction in return for your participation - artists, architects, engineers, photographers, musicians, marketing geniuses, karma capitalists, honest workers, journalists, accountants, tradesmen, craftsmen, technicians, lawyers, communication specialists, YOU. Projects added often - Be prepared to have fun and use your brain. Click Fun Projects.
- Take Classes. Learn how to bring healthful techniques back to your fitness, rehab, and medical centers, and also to orphanages, Indian Reservations, elder communities, impoverished communities, the World. Click Classes. The only authorized Academy certificates are by training in person with me (Dr. Bookspan), with smaller certifications possible with specific distance learning. Academy student web page lists recognized students.
- Earn Membership. There are no membership dues, just membership "do's" - To be a member, you DO need to be good, and do good. Membership is by sweat-equity. Welcome. Your membership is good as long as you are. More on membership, and Membership Card down-loadable from this site, coming soon. WATCH THIS SPACE. Send your membership card ideas.
- Wear and Share Healthy Fun. Get and give T-shirts, funny health reminders, gifts with UNcommon sense gifts from the Academy.
- Send your success stories using our methods for a smart healthy happy life. See what others have written - on the Patient Stories page. Mail from there or Success @ DrBookspan DOT com
- Health updates, quick & short: Twitter.com/TheFitnessFixer. Add your tweets of fun and funny health fixes.
- Send typo fixes and notice for any links or pages that do not work - helpfulreader @ DrBookspan.com (no spaces)
Endow an enduring program, donate scholarships and materials, create good. Click the yellow donate button for PayPal. Thank you !
George Nakhlé and model both demonstrate "the forward head" which is a common source of upper body pain. Take Dr. Bookspan's seminars to learn how to fix this unhealthy posture and keep pain from coming back.
NEXT - see the Programs, Practitioners, and Certified Students
HOME || The Ab Revolution || Adventure Medicine || Books and eBooks || Bookspan Basics || Diving Aerospace & Hyperbarics || Emotional & Mental Fitness || Fix Your Pain Articles - back, neck, knees, disc and more || Fixing Pain as a Lifestyle || Fitness as a Real Lifestyle || Hamstrings and Back Pain || HUMOR - Fixa U Dept of Silly Syndromes || Individual Online Consult || Karate || Kickboxing || Lower Body Revolution (tm) || Nutrition || Open Our Resort || Projects for World Health || Patient Success Stories || Rare Photos of Early Work || Stretching || Sitting Healthier || Gifts || Thai Massage || The Fitness Fixer || Twitter || Who Is Dr. Bookspan || World Health Projects || Yoga Without Dogma