Academy Of Functional Exercise
AFEM and the Fixa U School of Healthy Medicine
Making Exercise Healthy Medicine
for People and Communities
Provide people and communities with intelligent, effective, inspiring, self-sufficient ways to be healthy in body and actions:
- Develop and teach methods that make medicine and exercise healthier, and daily life into built-in physical, emotional, social, and environmental health -- functional exercise and medicine.
- Reduce injury and pain syndromes by integrating healthy biomechanics into ordinary daily life movement - true fitness as a lifestyle.
- Address unhealthy practices in fitness, sports, health care, and daily life and interactions.
- Encourage mind-set that fitness, health care, and medicine are ongoing outside the gym, in your daily physical, mental, and community interactions and projects.
- Provide methods and training for compassion and empathy in medicine, and responsibility and accountability in health care.
- Reward intelligent health initiatives, good humor, and self-empowerment.
- Keep the process fun - we put the fun in functional.
How | Functional Exercise | Welcome | Many Offerings | Who | Mascot | Awards | Physician Recommended | Be Involved
We are an international organization providing:
Functional Exercise Medicine?
Mr. Jim Morris writes on his Academy Appointment:
Stuff We Do-
in Green Health,
New - previously only working "behind the scenes" developing high level quantum work and making sure of accuracy in all projects and research - while playing chess - is the Dog.
to guess his name - he says it it may be one of these:
and Hall of Fame
Award design by
- The Academy gives annual awards to thank, recognize, and support
those who make the world healthier.
- (The Academy Awards!)
- Get ideas on the Projects page and the Practitioners page. Send
Dr. Bookspan your inspirational stories. e-Mail: Success AT DrBookspan DOT com
- Award categories for physicians, individuals, health instructors,
teachers, and others who lead by example. You can endow a memorial award. e-Mail: AcademyAwards @ DrBookspan DOT com
- Academy Awards - Our World Awards for Leading World Health
- Our Hall of Fame 2009.
Recommend Our Work
Ernest S. Campbell, M.D., FACS, Board-certified General Surgeon, Past Chairman Department of Surgery, Board of Directors Brookwood Medical Center Birmingham, Alabama, Fellow of the American College of Surgery.
Joseph Estwanik, M.D., FACSM, Past President Association of Ringside Physicians, Fellow American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Former Competitor in Olympic Style Weight Lifting.
- "Dr. Bookspan is widely acclaimed for her work in human physiology and sports medicine... known in scientific circles for successfully debunking traditional, but ineffective or wrong ideas. For that reason some have compared her to Galileo for changing the "held paradigm." She is known as a careful and brilliant researcher who has found the reasons why things were not working, and changed the paradigm to a more simple and more effective one. Her methods to reverse pain and injury are gems of common sense management."
- Dr. Ernest S Campbell, MD, FACS Board Certified, General Surgery (Retired), Chairman Department of Surgery, Board of Directors Brookwood Medical Center. Birmingham Alabama
- "I attended last year for your classes and came back specifically for more. I reinforced lessons learned - useful evidence based methods for treating pain. It makes my own back feel better. You are so genuine and passionate about the science. I refer patients to your books and programs daily."
- Dr. Scott Loree, MD, ER Family Practice, Edmonton Alberta
- "The workshops gave me a vastly improved understanding of mechanics and rarely presented ways of utilizing them for health and problem elimination/control. The overall learning/insight is excellent; the information of immediate clinical therapeutic use. I very highly recommend these courses."
- Dr. Linder Wingo, M.D.
- "Jolie, Under your direction and experience, many updated techniques will follow."
- Joseph Estwanik MD FACSM, Orthopaedic Surgeon, Author of Sports Medicine for the Combat Arts, Chairman of Ringside Physician's Course U.S. Olympic Training Center
- "It has been my great fortune to have the privilege to direct a medical school elective program. Thus it has been that budding clinicians for three years were privileged to learn first hand from faculty member Dr. Bookspan about healthy patterns for living and activity. It will be a great benefit to all their future patients (and themselves) if they continue to explore, learn, and apply the information and experience of Dr. Bookspan through the Academy of Functional Exercise Medicine."
- Dr. Tom Kessler, MD, MSPH, FAAFP, FAWM, Thirty-year career with the United States Public Health Service
- Lead my simple re-training drills for your own groups. Bookspan Basics - group training drills are a set of quick fun skills to teach your schools, camps, teams, and others. Learn better, healthier movement skills for all you do.
- Are you my next Director of Youth Programs, Math For Fitness, Communications Liaison, or Director of Electronic Media Learning? Youth Director initiates and oversees programs training lifelong health, starting with Bookspan Basics - group training drills, Fitness as a Lifestyle, and Emotional Fitness for schools, camps, leagues, and other healthy group structure, building a world-wide program. Math Director and contributors add short fun articles and programs so people have better understanding of the ways marketing twists truth with misleading numbers, and how to avoid that for healthier decisions. Communications Director liaisons with press and distribution avenues to increase awareness and fun for all. Director of Electronic Learning creates cool fun internet and cloud based apps, DVDs, learning channels, more. Send projects you are doing or developing in these topics and others to me (Dr. Bookspan) at HelpfulReader @ DrBookspan.com. Click here to see what existing Directors have achieved and how to add your talents.
- Put MORE of your good ideas and talents into practice. I offer fun projects to make your health and the world better. Get priceless instruction in return for your participation - artists, architects, engineers, photographers, musicians, marketing geniuses, karma capitalists, honest workers, journalists, accountants, tradesmen, craftsmen, technicians, lawyers, communication specialists, YOU. Projects added often - Be prepared to have fun and use your brain. Click Fun Projects.
- Take Classes. Learn how to bring healthful techniques back to your fitness, rehab, and medical centers, and also to orphanages, Indian Reservations, elder communities, impoverished communities, the World. Click Classes. The only authorized Academy certificates are by training in person with me (Dr. Bookspan), with smaller certifications possible with specific distance learning. Academy student web page lists recognized students.
- Earn Membership. There are no membership dues, just membership "do's" - To be a member, you DO need to be good, and do good. Membership is by sweat-equity. Welcome. Your membership is good as long as you are. More on membership, and Membership Card down-loadable from this site, coming soon. WATCH THIS SPACE. Send your membership card ideas.
- Wear and Share Healthy Fun. Get and give T-shirts, funny health reminders, gifts with UNcommon sense gifts from the Academy.
- Send your success stories using our methods for a smart healthy happy life. See what others have written - on the Patient Stories page. Mail from there or Success @ DrBookspan DOT com
- Health updates, quick & short: Twitter.com/TheFitnessFixer. Add your tweets of fun and funny health fixes.
- Send typo fixes and notice for any links or pages that do not work - helpfulreader @ DrBookspan.com (no spaces)
Endow an enduring program, donate scholarships and materials, create good. Click the yellow donate button for PayPal. Thank you !
George Nakhlé and model both demonstrate "the forward head" which is a common source of upper body pain. Take Dr. Bookspan's seminars to learn how to fix this unhealthy posture and keep pain from coming back.
NEXT - see the Programs, Practitioners, and Certified Students
HOME || Academy Projects and Students || Adventure Medicine || Appointments || Books and eBooks || Bookspan Basics Functional Fitness || Classes & Certification || Dr Bookspan on Twitter || Fix Pain Articles || Gifts || Hamstrings and Back Pain || HUMOR - Fixa U Dept of Silly Syndromes || Individual Care || Karate || Kickboxing || Lower Body Revolution (tm) || Nutrition || Open Our Resort || Projects || Rare Photos of Early Work || Real Fitness as a Lifestyle || Thai Massage || The Ab Revolution || The Fitness Fixer || True Patient Stories || Twitter || Who Is Dr. Bookspan || Yoga Without Dogma