Jolie Bookspan. MEd, PhD, FAWM
Director Neck and Back Pain Sports Medicine
Headmaster Academy of Functional Exercise Medicine - the Fixa U School of Healthy Medicine
Copyright & Reprint Instructions Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker
Dr. Bookspan's training and rehab methods, used by military and top rehab centers,
are so successful that Harvard Medical School clinicians named her "The St. Jude of the Joints."
Hello, you are on the Stretch Class Syllabus page, on my large, no-charge web site, Dr. Bookspan.com. Each of my classes has its own syllabus page. See all classes and links to those syllabus pages on the Classes page.
On THIS page: Research is showing that many stretches are not stopping injury as hoped. It is no mystery. Common stretches often add to injury and posture trouble. People stretch in injurious ways and use unhealthful movement habits the rest of the time in daily life. My fun active workshops show which stretches help and which promote the problems you started with and add more. This page gives you information to get the most out of these classes.
You won't just sit there and stretch. This is a "teach you how to fish" approach as well as giving you a lot of a fish to get started. You will learn to understand for yourself:
- Why common stretches make pain and posture worse, and what to do instead.
- There are different functional stretches that apply to daily movement habits. These different stretches build the kind of stretch you need from how you move all day.
- What good stretches you may be doing in ineffective ways.
- Stretches to prevent certain injuries and pain, and why some work and some don't.
- How to re-educate your movement habits to not get tight and sore in the first place.
Then use all the above learning and understanding to:
- Practice scientific techniques you can easily do at work, at home during everyday movement, and during your training and activities, to fix common problems.
For different group needs, I offer different classes:
1. Lecture and Practice. Lecture with audio-visual supported learning (Power Point presentation) of fun concepts, anatomy, how and why common stretches produce injury, specifics to do instead, discussion, and guided practice of quickly effective techniques under supervision. Much two-way question and answer so that students can understand how to apply concepts, not just do lists of stretches. The classes I teach at medical conferences and for the Mt. Airy Learning Tree use this format.
Students of Stretching Healthier through the Mt. Airy Learning Tree, October 2015
medical conference course July 2010 - physicians, military, and smart students
Banner by AFEM Academy Developmental Projects director Peggy Santamaria.
2. For specific high level groups, you can have a practical see-and-do intensive. No audiovisuals. You quickly apply concepts to learn healthier stretches. This format includes "Top 10 Smarter Stretches."
of the Black Belt Hall of Fame class of 2013
Master Ward Collins, 4th Dan, Tae Kwon Do,
writes about making healthy range of motion part of daily life and exercise:"Dr. Bookspan, Your class as always was wonderful, in class or from the side lines. Since my first stretching seminar with you (years ago) I have been working on and correcting my stretching and body positioning. I have taken your healthier methods of range of motion and am applying it to my day-to-day life while doing normal things I have to do anyway. I have notice that when I am lazy and not holding my body up with muscles I can really feel what you talk about it in minutes, not the pain but the building discomfort that will lead to and cause back pain. I apply it more everyday, getting closer to doing it all well, one day at a time. That is why we practice at everything we do, otherwise, quoting my father, Ward Sr. 'Practice. Otherwise we could all go down to a Seven Eleven and pick up a Black Belt.' Thank you, we really appreciated all the extra help and tips you gave to us before your wonderful seminar. We jumped into our Monday night martial arts class using a few new stretches from your book and can't wait to finish reading the rest of the book and improve our overall stretching and strengthening. / My dad just loved that I quoted him and that his quote will now go on and live in cyberspace."
My Tired Sore Advanced Students at the Black Belt Hall of Fame Class of 2015, who learned teaching methods.
BEFORE Class, Here Is How To Prepare
1. Class Summary Readings On My Web Site
Get started now with quick understanding how you use range of motion built in to your day, not just as a list of stretches. Your ordinary activities can give many healthy stretches, OR merely repeat unhealthy movement patterns. Learn how to make it benefit you: Read this first for Range of Motion as Fitness and A Lifestyle
Then read more about Fixing Bad Stretching - Which Stretches Harm and Which Help. This page also has the 6 QUICK Stretches that you can do every day.
If you are curious about hamstrings, my years of research findings are presented on my web page all about Hamstrings.
"I read your whole site, every
word. It was like an oasis in a desert."
- Eugene Kelley, Esq.
2. Short Free Online Fitness Fixer Summaries
I wrote The Fitness Fixer column for Healthline from 2006 to 2010 to change exercise to healthier ways. After the column ended, Healthline removed almost all the photos and illustrations that I had made which showed concepts for each article, all the short videos I made for the articles, all the reader comments and replies that added helpful info. Then they started removing my articles and redirecting links from those articles to their ads to sell their products, or to no pages at all.
I used to have a list right here of articles helpful to learning better stretching from my column. Now they are gone but you can come learn them in class or private appointments. For more about The Fitness Fixer column, here is the Index for The Fitness Fixer - which explains The Fitness Fixer column, with an alphabetic list of many of the nearly 800 articles by topic.
3. Get Class Text BooksClass books with information and stretches are available at discount in class for class participants: "Stretching Smarter Stretching Healthier" "Fix Your Own Pain Without Drugs or Surgery" and "Health & Fitness in Plain English, THIRD edition" plus others. To order anytime, click: Books.
4. Twitter. Instant updates about classes, new projects, fitness fixes, and other fun. Add your enthusiastic ideas and participate in projects. Short and easy on Twitter. No log-in needed to read
AFTER Class, Continue With My No-Charge Materials
- To help you remember, here is a free summary of what we learned - Fixing Bad Stretching - Which Stretches Harm and Which Help. This page also has the Six QUICK Stretches to do every day.
- Get healthy range of motion and good exercise built into all you do in ordinary daily life. Free: Fitness as a REAL LIfestyle.
- See my Clinical page for no-charge summary articles for fixing specific pain of the back, neck, knees, and others: DrBookspan.com/clinical.
- If you are interested in using healthy movement for Yoga, here is my page on preventing yoga injuries, and doing Smarter Healthier Yoga WIthout Dogma.
- For wonderful relaxing stretching, try a Thai Massage with me: Thai Massage.
- For students wanting more, the book that covers how to do higher level exercise and strength of both mind and body, covering spirit, breathing, mental discipline, with chapters on stretch, injuries, abs, strength, and the most about nutrition, take a look at Healthy Martial Arts. It does not teach martial arts, it is how to apply that discipline to all you do: Books.
- Keep in touch with your successes and questions. For private appointments to work with me further: See my Clinical page.
Student Dana Chandler, who took the Back Pain workshop, made the little wire doll, below, as a gift for me before ever seeing that I do the same thing. Fun people take our classes:
I learned how some traditional exercises are not performed correctly.
I will be better able to educate others with better technique.
- Captain B.L. Bennett, US Navy, CO NSAS
The workshop was very practical and fun! Something for everyone.
- Marie Virene, R.N.
I learned much better stretches, and will be able to prevent future injuries.
- Dr. Tom Garges, M.D., Physician and gymnast
I recommend this workshop. It was hands-on.
- Sharon Hale, R.N. Colorado
I learned better technique; how to heal and prevent injuries.
- Dr. Michael Hauke, M.D., surgeon in Selah WA
I recommend this instructor.
- Dr. Marilyn Hill Harper, M.D. Physician, UCSF
Really great concept. Want more.
- Dr. Chan Chandler, M.D. retired radiologist
Why would anyone attend a seminar, lecture, or class and be upset when the speaker talked about the subject? Did they really expect you to say, “Yeah, I was just kidding. All your old exercises are just fine. Just do more of them and you’ll be okay”, or what?
- Jack Ryder, former US Marine
Wow! This was great. I definitely corrected some injurious things that I do.
I will pass the information learned to others. Excellent!
- Liz Owen, Emergency Medical Services. Breckinridge CO
Map and DirectionsFor Mt. Airy Learning Tree One Day Workshops. Should open in a new window:
Map for Various Downtown Locations:
View Larger Map
Directions to my workshops at the Wilderness Medical Society meetings at Breckinridge Colorado (check the class page for dates I am invited to speak there):
Bring Classes To Your Location
Project 6 on the Projects page.
That said, Be Healthy - Respect Copyright
Information, drawings, and photos are © protected copyright. To cite this article or any parts, put author Dr. Jolie Bookspan, and link to this site DrBookspan.com at the top and bottom of your reprinting. A suggestion to get my books is also nice. No Derivative Works License means no changes to content, wording or links.
and Reprint info for site and classes.
"The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is now."
- Chinese proverb
(Start stretching now in a healthier way.)
Entire site is education only. Nothing is medical advice. See your doctor first and use your brain.